Severe acne is a type of acne that is characterized by the presence of numerous, inflamed, and often painful nodules or cysts on the skin. It mostly affects the face, chest, and back, and can lead to deep scarring and darkening if left untreated.
Severe acne is usually caused by an overproduction of oil by the skin’s oil glands, which can clog pores and create an environment for bacteria to thrive. Hormonal changes, genetics, and certain medications can also contribute to the development of severe acne.
How To Manage Severe Acne?
Managing severe acne can be a very frustrating and challenging process, but there are some strategies that can be effective in reducing symptoms and preventing scarring. Here are some tips for managing severe acne:
- Consult a dermatologist. If you have severe acne, it’s important to ask for advice of a dermatologist. They can help you find the right treatment plan based on your case and your skin type. They may recommend prescription medications such as topical or oral antibiotics, isotretinoin, or hormonal therapies. A dermatologist can also provide guidance on the use of over-the-counter products.
- Have a consistent skincare routine. Having a consistent skincare routine can help manage acne by reducing oil production and preventing clogged pores. Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser and moisturize with a non-comedogenic moisturizer. Avoid using harsh scrubs or cleansers that can irritate the skin.
- Don’t pick or squeeze pimples. This can lead to scarring and make acne worse. If you feel the urge to pick at a pimple, try using a warm compress instead.
- Use acne-fighting products. Over-the-counter products containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or alpha hydroxy acids can be effective in treating acne. However, it’s important to use these products as directed and not overuse them, as they can be drying and irritate the skin.
- Practice good lifestyle habits. Stress, lack of sleep, and poor diet can all contribute to the development of acne. Try to manage stress through relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga, get enough sleep, and eat a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
What To Avoid If You Have Severe Acne?
If you have severe acne, there are some things you should avoid that can worsen your case and potentially lead to scarring. Here are some things to avoid if you have severe acne:
- Touching your face. Avoid touching your face with your hands, as this can spread bacteria and oils that can exacerbate acne.
- Picking or squeezing pimples. This can lead to scarring and make acne worse. Instead, leave pimples alone or use a warm compress to help reduce inflammation.
- Using harsh scrubs or exfoliants. These can irritate the skin and make acne worse. Instead, use gentle cleansers and avoid using scrubs or exfoliants on areas with active acne.
- Don’t overuse acne products. Overusing acne products, can dry out the skin and cause irritation. Use these products as directed and avoid using multiple acne products at once.
- Wearing tight clothing or helmets. These can trap sweat and oils against the skin, leading to acne breakouts. Wear loose-fitting clothing and avoid wearing tight hats or helmets for extended periods of time.
- Eating a diet high in sugar and processed foods. While diet is not a direct cause of acne, consuming a diet high in sugar and processed foods can contribute to inflammation and worsen acne symptoms.
Say goodbye to acne, hello to radiant skin with Eve Therapy!
Get clearer, smoother, and healthier-looking skin with Eve Therapy’s acne special! Book your appointment now and experience the benefits of our personalized acne treatment plan. Say goodbye to pesky breakouts and hello to a more confident you!
Start your skin care journey – Book Now!