Acne affects many people, especially teens and young adults. It can create scars and hyperpigmentation, which are distressing and hard to heal. Hyperpigmentation, caused by increased melanin synthesis, can develop after acne heals. We’ll explore treating acne-related hyperpigmentation and improving your skin in this answer.
What is Acne-Related Hyperpigmentation?
Acne hyperpigmentation refers to dark marks or spots that are left on the skin after acne lesions have healed. When acne heals, it can leave behind excess melanin, which is the pigment that gives our skin color. This excess melanin can create dark spots or patches on the skin that are darker than the surrounding skin tone, making them noticeable.
How To Treat Acne-Related Hyperpigmentation?
Acne hyperpigmentation is the dark spots or patches that can occur on the skin after acne lesions have healed. It can be a frustrating and unsightly condition, but there are several ways to treat it. Here are some tips:
- Sun Protection. One of the most important steps in treating hyperpigmentation is to protect your skin from the sun. Exposure to the sun can make hyperpigmentation worse, so always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 when you are outside.
- Topical treatments. Over-the-counter topical treatments containing ingredients like retinoids, vitamin C, and hydroquinone can help fade hyperpigmentation. These ingredients work by inhibiting the production of melanin, which causes the darkening of the skin.
- Chemical peels. Chemical peels can be used to treat hyperpigmentation. These treatments involve applying a chemical solution to the skin, which causes the outer layers of skin to peel off. This helps to remove the darkened skin and promote the growth of new, lighter skin.
- Microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion is a procedure that uses a special device to exfoliate the top layer of skin. This can help to remove hyperpigmented skin and reveal brighter, smoother skin underneath.
- Laser treatments. Laser treatments can be effective in treating hyperpigmentation. These treatments use a focused beam of light to target and destroy the pigment-producing cells in the skin.
When To See A Doctor?
Here are some signs that you should see a doctor for your acne-related hyperpigmentation:
- If your hyperpigmentation is severe. If your hyperpigmentation is very dark or covers a large area of your skin, you may want to see a dermatologist. They can assess the severity of your condition and recommend treatments to help lighten the darkened areas.
- Prolonged duration. If your hyperpigmentation has persisted for several months and has not improved with over-the-counter treatments, it’s time to see a doctor.
- Painful or itchy. If the affected areas are painful, itchy, or sensitive, it’s important to see a doctor. These symptoms may indicate an underlying skin condition that requires medical attention.
- Rapidly spreading. If the hyperpigmentation is rapidly spreading or changing in color, shape, or size, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible. This may be a sign of a more serious skin condition that requires prompt medical attention.
- If your hyperpigmentation is not improving with home remedies. If you have been using over-the-counter treatments for several weeks and have not seen any improvement in your hyperpigmentation, you may want to see a doctor. They can recommend stronger treatments or procedures that may be more effective.
- If your hyperpigmentation is causing you distress. If your hyperpigmentation is affecting your self-esteem or causing you emotional distress, you may want to see a doctor. They can recommend treatments to help improve the appearance of your skin and address any underlying psychological issues.
Say goodbye to hyperpigmentation and hello to radiant, youthful-looking skin with Eve Therapy!
No need to suffer in silence with hyperpigmentation. Our team of skincare experts is here to provide personalized solutions and help you achieve your best skin yet. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards achieving the beautiful, radiant skin you deserve.
Start your skincare journey with us – Book Now!