Acne is a common skin condition that affects a lot of people. It happens when the hair follicles in your skin get blocked with oil and dead skin cells. This can cause pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and sometimes even deeper cysts. Acne can cause a lot of different reasons. It can be genetics, hormonal changes, stress, or certain medications or products.
Why does acne develop?
Acne develops due to a combination of factors, including excess oil production, clogged hair follicles, bacteria, inflammation, and hormonal changes. Here are the following reasons:
- Excess oil production. The sebum is an oily substance produced by skin. This helps in lubricating and also protecting the skin. But too much sebum is not good because it can lead to formation of acne.
- Clogged hair follicles. When hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells, they can become inflamed and infected, resulting in the formation of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads.
- Bacteria. The bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is commonly found on the skin and can contribute to the development of acne. When hair follicles become clogged, it creates an environment where acnes can thrive, leading to inflammation and further breakouts.
- Inflammation. It is the redness and swelling making the acne more visible and painful. This can also create a dark red spot on your face which is hard to remove.
- Hormonal changes. Hormonal changes can cause acne because it affects the production of sebum which causes acne. This is why acne is most common during puberty, when hormone levels are fluctuating. Hormonal changes related to menstrual cycles, pregnancy, and certain medications can also contribute to acne development.
Can The Right Diet Get Rid Of Acne?
Having a right diet is important in our daily lives, as we know that it can affect the overall changes in our body. But can diet cause acne? Can a good diet remove or even lessen your acne?
Studies have shown that carbohydrates, sugary drinks, and processed foods, can increase insulin levels and promote acne and inflammation. So can a diet help reduce acne? Studies have also shown that a diet rich in whole, nutrient-dense foods like fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats may help reduce the risk of acne. Certain vitamins and minerals found in food, such as vitamin A, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids, may also help in lessening acne.
Dietary factors linked to the development of acne include:
- High-glycemic-index foods. Carbohydrates, sugary drinks, and processed foods can increase the risk of having acne. These foods can increase insulin levels, which can lead to increased sebum production and inflammation.
- Dairy products. Consumption of excessive dairy products can cause the development of acne. It may be due to the hormones and growth factors present in milk.
- Omega-6 fatty acids. These are found in vegetable oils and processed foods, and may contribute to the development of acne. It can increase inflammation in the body.
- Not eating fruits and vegetables. A diet that is low in fruits and vegetables may increase the risk of acne. Fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can help support healthy skin.
Diet for People with Acne:
Every person has a different body that has different needs when it comes to diet. But there are certain dietary patterns and foods that may help in reducing the risk of acne and promoting healthy skin. Here are some guidelines:
- Focus on whole, nutrient-dense foods. Eating fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats can provide the vitamins and minerals that support healthy skin. Whole foods are also less likely to cause blood sugar spikes that can trigger acne.
- Choose low sugar foods. Foods that have slow-release carbohydrates, such as whole grains, legumes, and non-starchy vegetables, can help regulate blood sugar and reduce inflammation.
- Choose foods rich in antioxidants. Foods such as Berries, leafy greens, nuts, and seeds are all rich in antioxidants, hosewhich can help reduce inflammation and promote healthy skin.
- Eat omega-3 fatty acids. Foods such as fatty fish, flaxseeds, and walnuts, can help in reducing inflammation and help build a healthy skin.
- Consider adding probiotics. Probiotic-rich foods like yogurt, kefir, and fermented vegetables can help support a healthy gut microbiome, which may be beneficial for reducing acne.
- Do not always eat dairy and processed foods. Dairy, carbohydrates, sugary drinks, and processed foods can help increase the chance of having acne. It may be helpful to limit or avoid these foods to see if they have an impact on your skin.
Always remember that there are a lot of reasons for having acne, and diet is just one of them. Other reasons such as genetics, stress, and skincare habits can also contribute to acne development. It is always important to speak with a skin professional for a better and effective acne treatment.
Invest in your skin’s health and beauty – Start your skincare journey with Eve Therapy!
Let us be part of your skin journey and achieve your #skingoals! Book your appointment today and take the first step towards younger, healthier-looking skin.
Start your skincare journey – Book Now!